Saturday, March 26, 2016

Watermelon Salad with Balsamic Vinaigrette

I swear all it takes is a few days of mild (60's) temperature and I'm practically in full summer mode.

And when I spot a perfect wedge of watermelon in the produce department--it's out of season, what am I doing even looking in that direction (see full summer mode, above)--I can't help but decide that one way to validate my summer mood is to make a watermelon salad.


It was so good I went back to the store the next day and bought another piece of watermelon...to make another salad with.  I changed up the ingredients a bit with the second one--used a different cheese (seared halloumi, omg), different nuts, different greens.  The only constants were watermelon and a simple balsamic vinaigrette (if you have balsamic vinegar, olive oil and dijon mustard on hand you can whip up your own dressing in 30 seconds).

Feel free to substitute the salad ingredients to suit your taste preferences!



Today's Playlist

  • "Funky But Chic"...New York Dolls
  • "Runaway Train"...Soul Asylum
  • "The Zephyr Song"...Red Hot Chili Peppers
  • "You Shook Me All Night Long"...AC/DC


Watermelon Salad with Balsamic Vinaigrette
Printable Recipe

  • 6 cups cubed seedless watermelon
  • 2 scallions, chopped
  • 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
  • 1/3 cup shelled pistachios
  • 3 cups baby spinach
  • 3 cups arugula
  • fresh ground pepper, to taste
vinaigrette ingredients:
  • 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
  • 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon dijon mustard


Gather your ingredients.


To make the vinaigrette: add the olive oil, balsamic vinegar and dijon mustard into a small bowl.



Stir with a fork until combined.

Prep your ingredients: cut the watermelon into bite-sized cubes and chop the scallions.

To assemble the salad: place the watermelon, scallions, feta and pistachios into a large bowl.

Stir gently to combine.

Add the arugula.


And the spinach.  


 Add a grind or two of fresh pepper, to taste.  Lightly drizzle with half of the dressing and toss to coat.

Serve the remaining dressing on the side.

 Enjoy.

1 comment:

  1. Fran, that looks so wonderful and even easy for folks like me, lol. Lucky you finding delicious watermelon. I bought strawberries for Easter at my local grocery store, which I thought looked good. Had to throw at least half of them away because they were bad the next day, ugh.

    As soon as I find decent watermelon, we're going to be trying this salad! Love that vinaigrette dressing.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you think!