Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Cooking Show: Chocolate!!

We filmed an episode of the cooking show last week.  My friend, Joanie, cooked with me and we had a blast whipping up a few chocolatey treats!

Dan The Awesome Cameraman suggested the Chocolate theme. Chocolate cake with raspberry mousse filling and buttercream frosting, chocolate mini muffins and sea salt caramel chocolate crispy treats were on the menu.

Before I give you the links to the recipes, we need to discuss an on-camera failure!  Trying to keep it real, during the show we typically discuss how cooking fails happen and it's not the end of the world. Our show is basically a bunch of us hanging out in my kitchen, filming while we cook, and no time for re-doing anything.  Eventually, something was going to fail and end up on camera!

And fail I did.  You may think that you are looking at a cake with messy frosting.  Let me turn it around so you can get a better look!

Despite the utensil that I stuck in the middle to hold the layers steady, we waited too long after we put the mousse in the middle and before I could frost it the layers started slip-slidin' away.

It looks like it's blowing a big ol' raspberry at me.  Get it? Raspberry mousse? #seewhatIdidthere



The cake needs to chill for a couple of hours before it can be sliced, so I had baked another cake ahead of filming so that we would have a chilled one ready to slice.  Whew.  

We laughed at the ugly cake and sliced the pretty one for the camera.  I think it would have been fun to do a blind taste taste!  Here's the printable recipe.




Another recipe that I had prepared a batch in advance because they need to chill before you slice them.

Two batches of these treats are not a bad thing!  Here's the printable recipe for the non-chocolate version...to make them chocolate, simply substitute cocoa crispy rice cereal for plain cereal, and (if you have it on hand) chocolate extract for the vanilla extract.


According to my daughter, "They're a perfect little chocolate cake."  And that just about tells you all you need to know!  Here's the printable recipe.



1 comment:

  1. Chocolate heaven here! Thanks for showing us your fail Fran, but I bet it tasted delicious too. Anyway it is pretty in pink, lol.

    PS/I have the theme to Downton Abbey as my ringtone, so I'll still get to hear it. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you think!