Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Strawberry/Spinach Salad with Poppy Seed Dressing

We've been eating a lot of strawberries lately.  It seems like every local supermarket has run a special on strawberries within the last few weeks.

Today I walked into the supermarket and strawberries and blackberries were on sale.  For someone like me, who has had spring fever for two solid months already....well, all I could think was, "the more, the berrier!"  Ouch, that was pretty lame, I know.

This is the look that Gus gives me when I make a bad pun.

It has been exactly one year since Gus was sprayed by a skunk.  No matter how much he tries to coax and cajole us into letting him out when he catches a whiff of his stinky little friend, we've managed to keep him skunk-free.

As usual, I digress. Back to the berries.  I made a very simple salad of spinach and berries topped with a sweet poppy seed dressing.  Goodness, gracious, me-oh-my, it was soooooo good.



Today's Playlist

  • "Blitzkreig Bop".......Ramones
  • "Walk"........Foo Fighters
  • "Love Interruption"......Jack White
  • "I Want You To"........Weezer
  • "Lonely Boy".........Black Keys
  • "Don't Stop".......Foster The People
  • "American Idiot".........Green Day
  • "Seven Nation Army"......White Stripes
  • "Ruby Soho"......Rancid


Strawberry/Spinach Salad with Poppy Seed Dressing (4 to 6 servings)
Printable Recipe

Dressing Ingredients:
  • 1/4 cup honey
  • 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
  • 1 teaspoon ground mustard
  • 1/2 teaspoon poppy seeds
  • 1/4 teaspoon onion salt
  • 1/3 cup vegetable oil

Salad Ingredients:

  • 5 cups baby spinach
  • 1 cup sliced strawberries
  • 1/2 cup blackberries
optional: 1/4 cup walnut pieces
                1/2 avocado, diced

Gather your ingredients.  It looks like a lot, but don't be scared.  In less than ten minutes, you will have a beautiful salad.

Prepare your dressing.

In a medium bowl, pour the honey.......

add the cider vinegar........

ground mustard...

poppy seeds.....

onion salt.......

and vegetable oil. 

Whisk to combine.

Done.

Remove the stems from your strawberries and cut them into bite-sized pieces.

Place your spinach into a serving bowl.

Add the berries.
Doesn't it look amazing already?  But wait......we're not finished.

Drizzle about half of the dressing over the salad.

Serve the remaining dressing on the side, in case anyone would like to douse their salad with an extra dose of yumminess.

Sometimes I like to add walnuts and diced avocados into the salad, but I didn't have them on hand today.

Enjoy!




5 comments:

  1. Oh Fran! That looks absolutely berriliscious! Good pick of the crop!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the recipe, I wouldn't have thought of adding the berries to spinach..the poppy dressing sounds lovely as well.
    Gus is sure a cutie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh YUM! That looks berry berry good. I too was very happy to see all the strawberries at the market this week and I bought a lot. I'm going to try your recipe for lunch today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm also going to have it for lunch today. Cheers!!

      Delete
  4. I never thought of mixing strawberries and spinach before!


    Ruby Fruit

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you think!