Thursday, December 22, 2011

Peanut Butter-Oatmeal Dog Treats!

Today totally went to the dogs.  Literally.  I've really been enjoying all my Christmas preparations and have been working my way through my list (decorating: done!  shopping: done! cards addressed: done! wrapping: almost done!).  

Gus has been putting up with a lot of solo time.

I was about to get started on another marathon gift-wrapping session, and I looked into his doggy face and ......well.........

We went to the dog park.


Ever since we put down our golden retriever,Gracie, Gus has had a thing for fetching blondes.  As luck would have it, there was a lovely blonde (not a golden retriever, but the next best thing--a yellow lab) at the park today, and her name was Gracie!

I had two tennis balls with me, and I threw them over and over until I thought my arm was going to fall off.
By far, Gus is the best "fetcher" that I've ever owned.  But this yellow lab put him to shame!  She  quickly chased down almost every ball that I threw.

By the time we left, Gus was a muddy (but happy) mess. 

His fun didn't end when we got home.  I decided to make some treats for the doggies on our Christmas list, and Gus was happy to taste-test the treats for me.



Today's Playlist
  • "Rockin' Around The Christmas Tree".....Brenda Lee
  • "Cool Yule"......Brian Setzer Orchestra
  • "The Most Wonderful Time Of The Year".........Burl Ives
  • "Santa Claus Is Coming To Town"......Frank Sinatra & Cyndi Lauper
  • "It's Beginning To Look A Lot Like Christmas"...Johnny Mathis
  • "Christmas Of Love"........Little Isidore And The Inquisitors



Peanut Butter-Oatmeal Dog Treats
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1/4 cup oats
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
  • 1/2 cup beef broth
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
Gather your ingredients.

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
In the bowl of your mixer, combine the flour........


oats,

and baking powder.  Mix on low, just to combine.

Add the peanut butter,


olive oil,
and beef broth.  Yeah, I know.  You're thinking, "Beef broth?!  With peanut butter?!"  Time to think like a dog--and eat all of your favorite foods at once.  Trust me, dogs love this stuff.

Mix on a medium speed, until well incorporated.


Sprinkle some flour on a sheet of waxed paper on your counter.

Place the dough on the waxed paper.

Roll the dough to an even thickness, at least 1/4" thick, but no more than 1/2" thick.

Use cookie cutters to cut out your treats.  Re-roll the scraps and continue cutting.

Place the treats on an ungreased cookie sheet.

Bake in your preheated 350-degree oven for about 25 minutes, or until they are just starting to turn brown around the edges.

The smell of peanut butter cookies will begin to waft through your home as the cookies bake.


Allow the treats to cool completely.  Store in an airtight container.
Tie and tag for the lucky dogs on your list.

Merry Christmas!




No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear what you think!