Sunday, December 4, 2011

Buttermilk Blueberry Muffins

Yesterday, I replanted some of the amaryllis bulbs I've been growing in my basement.
Every year, I start growing them around November 1, keeping my fingers crossed that they will grow and be ready to bloom when I do my decorating.

Out of the six bulbs that I started, two of them have shot up and started to bloom already.  I replanted them side by side, surrounded by shiny little ornaments.


And I found a nice, sunny spot for them.

These three have barely started to grow.

I put them in a large planter and I'm hoping that moving them upstairs (instead of in the gloomy basement) will prompt them to grow.

If they're happier with their surroundings, will they grow faster? Surrounding them with shiny ornaments can't hurt, either.



Today's Playlist
  • "Baby It's Cold Outside"........The Brian Setzer Orchestra
  • "Sleigh Ride"......Debbie Gibson
  • "Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer"........Rockapella
  • "I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus"........John Mellencamp
  • "Run Run Rudolph"........Keith Richards
  • "Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let It Snow".......The Brian Setzer Orchestra
  • "Last Night I Went Out With Santa Claus".........Big Bad Voodoo Daddy
  • "Little Saint Nick".......Hanson
  • "Santa Clause Is Comin' To Town"........Rockapella
  • "The Nutcracker Suite"........The Brian Setzer Orchestra



Buttermilk Blueberry Muffins (Makes 10 muffins)
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • zest from one lemon
  • 3/4 cup sugar, plus more for sprinkling
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 egg
  • 2 cups flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup buttermilk
  • 1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.

Line your muffin tin with 10 paper liners, or spray with non-stick cooking spray.
Gather your ingredients.

Using a mixer, cream the butter and lemon zest.

Add the sugar, beat until fluffy.

Place the blueberries in a small bowl.  Add 1/4 cup of the flour,  and toss to coat.  

I just sort of shake the bowl from side to side, and as the flour sinks to the bottom of the bowl, it coats the blueberries.

The reason why you are coating the blueberries with flour is to prevent them from sinking to the bottom of the muffins when you cook them.


Add the egg and vanilla to your butter mixture, and beat until combined.

Put the remaining flour, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl.  Whisk to combine.

You are going to add the dry ingredients and the buttermilk to the butter/egg mixture, but you are not going to use the mixer.

You are going to use a spoon, and stir only until combined.  

Add half of the flour mixture and stir.


Add the buttermilk and stir.

Add the remaining flour mixture and stir.

Stir in the flour-coated blueberries, and any flour that is left in the bowl with them.

The batter will be very thick.


Fill your prepared muffin tin with the batter. 

 I use a 1/3 cup measuring cup to scoop up uniform amounts of batter, and them use a small spoon to get it out of the measuring cup, since it is so thick.

I would have taken a picture of that for you, but with one hand holding the measuring cup, and the other hand holding the spoon...........well, I haven't quite figured out how to take pictures when both hands are otherwise occupied.

Sprinkle some additional sugar (or use sanding sugar) on the tops of the muffins.

Place muffins in your preheated 350 degree oven and bake for 26 to 30 minutes, or until the tops are lightly browned and spring back quickly when you lightly press on them.

Allow them to cool for about five minutes before removing them from the pan.


Enjoy!










1 comment:

  1. I think amaryllis flowers are just stunning, though I have never attempted to grow them myself. You have inspired me to give them a try next year. What flower can not thrive surrounded by such pretty baubles :)
    I have a serious blueberry muffin craving now as well..those look just too good!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you think!