Saturday, June 25, 2011

Sometimes, You Just Gotta Have Dessert

I made a dessert yesterday which could quite possibly be the best dessert ever.

I've made it before.  Every I make it, I wonder "Why don't I make this more often?"  Oh, yeah.  It's the calories.  But it's soooooo good!

Do yourself a favor.  Don't total up the caloric count of this delightfully decadent, deliciously indulgent delicacy.  Just don't. 

Sometimes, you just gotta have dessert.

Don't forget to listen to music while you bake!  I mentioned in yesterday's post , I prefer alternative music while I bake.  Here's what I listened to!



Today's Playlist
  • Back Against the Wall.....Cage The Elephant
  • Your Surrender.......Neon Trees
  • Resistance.......Muse
  • Cannon......The White Stripes
  • Show Me What I'm Looking For........Carolina Liar
  • (If You're Wondering If I Want You To) I Want You To.......Weezer
  • I Miss You ........Blink 182
  • All Over You.......The Spill Canvas
  • Nothing Short of Thankful.........The Avett Brothers
  • You Want To Be With Me........Crosby Loggins

This recipe is from Baker's Chocolate.
It needs to be refrigerated for two hours before you serve it, so plan ahead!

Baker's Chocolate
Ultimate Chocolate-Caramel Pecan Pie
  • 3 cups pecan pieces, divided
  • 1/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter
  • 1 bag (14 oz) Kraft caramels
  • 2/3 cup whipping cream, divided
  • 1 package (8 squares) Baker's semi-sweet baking chocolate
  • 1/4 cup powdered sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Gather all of your ingredients.

Melt 1/2 stick of butter in your microwave.  One minute on "high" should do the trick.

Finely grind two cups of the pecan pieces.  I use my mini-prep food processor.  Use any type of food processor, blender, large knife or chopper to get the job done.  By any means necessary.

When you're done, they should look like this.

Stir the sugar into the melted butter.

Add the ground pecans to the butter mixture and mix well.

Put the pecan/sugar/butter mixture into a pie plate.  Using the back of a spoon, press firmly onto the bottom and up the sides of the the plate.

Like this.

Bake for 12 to 15 minutes.

If crust puffs up during baking, gently press down with the back of a spoon.  This has never happened to me, but it is in the instructions so I thought I would include it in case it happens to you.


Unwrap the caramels and place in a microwaveable bowl with 1/3 cup of the whipping cream.

Microwave on HIGH for 2 1/2 to 3 minutes, or until caramels are completely melted, stirring after each minute.

Pour into the crust.

Let it sit and cool a bit while you melt the chocolate.

Place chocolate, remaining 1/3 cup whipping cream, the powdered sugar and vanilla extract in a saucepan; cook on LOW heat just until chocolate is completely melted, stirring constantly.

I let the chocolate cool down for about 10 minutes.  Just so it doesn't get mixed up in the caramel when you pour it on top.  Not that caramel and chocolate mixed up together is a bad thing.  Just that it looks better when the layers don't get mixed up.

Pour the chocolate over the top of the pie.  Don't just pour it in the middle, pour it all around to cover the top.

Gently spread the chocolate to cover the top of the pie.

Refrigerate for at least two hours.

Enjoy!







No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear what you think!