Friday, October 11, 2019

"Meat Free Monday" Cooking Show!




Our most-recent episode of the cooking show featured recipes from Paul McCartney's Meat Free Monday cookbook.

We always try to have some type of theme to our shows.  Most of the time I play it safe and go with a seasonal theme; sometimes my cooking guest(s) will offer suggestions.

This time, however, I opted to go the surprise route.  My friend, Maribeth, was cooking with me and I happen to know that she adores Paul McCartney.  I thought I would surprise her by preparing recipes from his cookbook.


I have always considered Maribeth a walking encyclopedia of everything Sir Paul, imagine MY surprise when she said that she had no idea that he even had a cookbook.  However, she was well-aware of his "Meat Free Monday" campaign and knowledgeably discussed how much of a positive impact it would have on individuals and our planet if everyone would simply eat a vegetarian diet one day per week.

The book is divided into seasons, with thirteen days of meat-free menus per season.  We prepared three recipes, all of which received rave reviews from our enthusiastic camera crew!



(paid link)

(Click on the titles of the recipes to be taken to the printable version.)


This breakfast recipe can be found in week 5 in the autumn section of the cookbook.

I picked this recipe because if you substitute oatmeal for the quinoa and maple syrup for the honey and you would have my old favorite cold-weather breakfast.  I say old favorite because since I've tried this recipe it's become my new favorite breakfast!  

I've made it several times over the past few weeks.  If you're like me, you will try this recipe once and decide that you want to make it for breakfast every day.  In that case, make the quinoa in advance! Triple the recipe and refrigerate the quinoa (or freeze individual portions) and you will be set for about a week.  

To serve, all that you will need to do is reheat an individual portion of quinoa, stir in the fruit and nuts and drizzle with honey.


This dinner recipe can be found in week 5 of the spring section of the cookbook.

Even though it is listed as a dinner recipe in the cookbook, I must confess that although I have made it for dinner, I have reheated the leftovers for breakfast and lunch.  I would also guess that it makes a pretty good snack!



This dessert recipe can be found in week 1 in the summer section of the cookbook.

I wish that I had written down exactly what Evan, one of our cameramen, said when he took his first bite. It was something like, "How can something so simple and easy to make taste so good?!"

Perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear what you think!