Friday, April 8, 2016

Cooking Show: Mother's Day!

We taped a cooking show last week with a Mother's Day theme.  Even though Mother's Day is still a month away, we figured we'd throw some ideas out there for those who are looking to cook up something special for Mom!

My friend, Maribeth, cooked with me.  You can see her apron in the background of this picture...we wore our special "Mommy's Helping Hands" aprons that our daughters made us for Mother's Day when they were in kindergarten.  

I don't know how many of those aprons from Mother's Day 2001 are still in existence...I think that there could be a few other moms from the Daisy troop who are as sappy and sentimental as Maribeth and I, and I'd bet they still have their aprons. (hint: Joanie, Sophia & Tina--I'm talking to YOU!)

What did we cook?  Well, we thought we'd come up with a menu that featured recipes we wish that someone would make for us.  On Mother's Day, or any day!

To start the day:  Cap'n Crunch French Toast with Berry Syrup.  With whipped cream on top.

Of course I neglected to take a decent picture during the show.  It's that dish in the center.  Click here to be taken to the printable recipe.


Here's an archive picture, from last month.  

I wish that I had cut into it, so you could see the crunchy goodness of the outside and the fluffy contrast of the inside!

Maribeth and I sipped our Raspberry Lemonade Martinis while we cooked.  We think Mom might appreciate these drinks on Mother's Day as well!  To make them (serves 2):

  • Rim 2 martini glasses with sugar
  • drop a lemon drop into each glass
  • combine 1 1/2 oz limoncello and 1 1/2 oz Stoli Razberi vodka in an ice-filled cocktail shaker
  • shake well, then evenly strain into the glasses
  • top with 4 oz pink lemonade
  • add a twist of lemon
  • cheers!


Watermelon Salad with Balsamic Vinaigrette.  Because after eating Cap'n Crunch French Toast for breakfast, this light & tasty salad is about all Mom will be able to handle for lunch!


And a lighter dinner would probably be a good idea as well.  These Open-Faced Tomato Sandwiches with Garlic Mayo & Pancetta fit that bill!

And for a sweet finish on Mother's Day, you can't go wrong with Sliced Pear with Prosciutto & Honey!











No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear what you think!