Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Grilled Potato Wedges

I've never told you how I came up with the name of this blog.  I didn't even have to think about it.  Between my three kids, "Hey, Mom, what's for dinner?" has been the most-often asked question for the last fifteen years or so.  And by my three kids, I mean my son. 

I could usually expect that it would be one of the first questions of the day.  The memories are so clear:  Sean, at three years old, eating his cereal, talking with his mouth full, "Hey, Mom, what's for dinner?"  Picking him up from elementary school, and as he ran toward me he'd be yelling, "What are we having for dinner?"

Picking him up anywhere, and the first thing he would say when he opened the car door, "What's for dinner?"  And then when he got his license, he'd drive himself home but as soon as he'd walk in the door, "What's for dinner?" And then the 2.0 version of the question: "When are you starting dinner?"

Five days ago, we dropped him off at his college.  Now I'm the one asking the questions, texting him, "What did you have for dinner?"

With Caitie and Sean back at school, it sure is quiet around here.
Erin made a back to school cake today.  Chocolate cake with peanut butter-butter cream frosting.  I think she must have used three pounds of assorted Reese's cups/Reese's pieces decorating this.  I cut the teeniest, weeniest, skinniest slices I could, but I bet they still had about a gazillion calories in each.


Meanwhile, I'm trying to come up with a French toast casserole that doesn't have a million calories in it.
A while ago, a friend of mine made a French toast casserole and it was incredible.  It was Paula Deen's recipe for French toast casserole with maple syrup.  I googled the recipe and saw the ingredients--besides all the eggs and cream and maple syrup it had two sticks of butter in it--well, to make a long story short, I just couldn't bring myself to make it.

I mean, it's one thing to eat something when you are out somewhere and you think, "oh, this is spectacular!"  But when I'm preparing it myself I just can't bring myself to add two sticks of butter--not without envisioning a syringe plunging all those calories directly into my thighs.

This is what I made this weekend:
An overnight French toast casserole.  With only one tablespoon of butter in it.  It wasn't that good, so I'm going to have to keep tweaking it!

Sooooooo.........today I'm going to give you a recipe that has been my go-to side dish this summer.  Last week, I was talking with my friend, Alyse, and she said that she was having trouble coming up with ideas for side dishes.  On nights when you're going to be grilling your dinner, it's easy to throw these potato wedges onto your grill as well!




Today's Playlist

"Shake Me Down"........Cage The Elephant
"Can't Stop"......Red Hot Chili Peppers
"1983".....Neon Trees
"Minority"........Green Day
"Till You're Gone"....The Gabe Dixon Band



Grilled Potato Wedges (serves 4-6)



  • 2 pounds large Yukon gold potatoes, washed and scrubbed
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 4 cloves garlic, crushed
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
  • salt and pepper, to taste



  • Gather your ingredients.

    Do the prep work.

    Cut your potatoes into wedges.  First, cut them in half, and then cut each half into three wedges.

    Done.

    Place the wedges into a large bowl.

    Chop the rosemary (two tablespoons).

    Now you just throw it all together.

    Place the 1/4 cup olive oil and rosemary into a small bowl.  Crush the garlic directly into the bowl.  Add salt and pepper to taste.


    Whisk to combine, and pour over the potatoes.

    Toss to coat.

    Preheat your grill to medium-high heat (about 400 degrees).  Grill the potatoes, turning occasionally, until tender and golden and crispy, about 15 minutes.


     Save the oil mixture in the bowl.  When you are done grilling your potatoes, return them to the bowl.

    It's okay to do this, really!  It's not like when you are marinating raw meat and you are worried about cross-contamination.  You would never want to return cooked meat into the mixture you marinated it in when it was raw.

    With vegetables, however, it's okay.  Return them to the bowl after you grill them, and toss to coat.
     Enjoy!

    2 comments:

    1. I enjoyed hearing about how your blog name came about..I remember asking my Mom the same question all the time 'what's for dinner' :)
      That cake looks just too good! Yes best not to think of the calories and just enjoy it :P
      I hadn't ever heard of a french toast casserole before, looks delicious, I will have to try it sometime.
      Magie x

      ReplyDelete
    2. Such yummy treats and potatoes!! Thanks for sharing!! Happy Monday! xo Heather

      ReplyDelete

    I love to hear what you think!