Saturday, November 5, 2011

White Chocolate Mousse

I've been cooking a lot of comfort food lately, now that the weather is cooler.  Tonight, I made Chicken Pot Pie , which definitely falls into the comfort food category.  

Is a dessert considered a comfort food?  Or is it just main dishes that can be called comfort food?

I guess most people would agree that dessert is a comfort by definition.  You're more likely to hear about someone seeking comfort by wallowing in their favorite ice cream or chocolates or gooey cake.

This recipe for white chocolate mousse is absolutely a comfort food. 

So easy to make!  Only two ingredients!  So yummy!  If it weren't for the calories (heavy cream and white chocolate), it would be perfect.



Today's Playlist
  • "I Fought The Law"........The Clash
  • "It Coulda Been Me"...........Social Distortion
  • "Steady, As She Goes".......The Raconteurs
  • "Undone".........Weezer
  • "Uprising"........Muse
  • "Back Stabbin' Betty".........Cage The Elephant
  • "Sublime"...........Santeria
  • "New Soul".......Nael Yaim
  • "I Miss You".........Blink 182
  • "Island In The Sun".........Weezer
  • "Short Skirt/Long Jacket".......Cake


White Chocolate Mousse
Printable Recipe
  • 1 cup white chocolate chips
  • 1 1/2 cups heavy cream, divided

Gather your ingredients.

Place a medium (2 to 3 quart) bowl in the fridge to chill.

Place chocolate chips and 1/4 cup of the cream in another medium bowl.

Microwave on HIGH for 1 minute.  Stir.  The chocolate chips should be just about melted.  Microwave on HIGH for another 30 seconds.  Stir until the chocolate chips are completely melted.

PLEASE use a good quality of white chocolate chips.  Most of the brands are not chocolate at all, hence the description "white baking chips."  To really be considered chocolate, there should be cocoa butter in the ingredients.  Most white chips in the baking aisle have no cocoa butter.  Some of them will work in this recipe (I can tell you from experience that Nestle's, Hershey's and Ghirardelli are fine), some of them will not (store brands, generic brands).


Allow the white chocolate/cream to cool to room temperature (about 30 minutes), stirring occasionally.

(You are not seeing things.  I switched bowls.  I decided that the first bowl I used would not be big enough, so I transferred the melted chips to a large bowl.  I used more bowls than I did ingredients.  You'd think I'd know better.)


Beat the remaining 1 1/4 cups of cream in the bowl that was chilling in your refrigerator.  (Yes, remove the bowl from your refrigerator first.  Just in case you were wondering.)



I beat it on a medium to high speed, using the whisk attachment on my hand mixer.  It took about 2 minutes to get it to look like this.

Add half of the whipped cream to the melted (cooled to room temperature) chocolate.  Fold it in, or you could also stir it gently with a whisk.

It is very important to have the chocolate at room temperature.  If the chocolate is hot, it will quickly un-whip the cream. 
Then I added the chocolate/cream mixture into the bowl with the remaining whipped cream.

Why all this back and forth?  It helps to hold the volume of the whipped cream.  I think.  That's what I tell myself. 

It worked.  After I folded it in, it became mousse-like!

Spoon the mixture into (6)  ramekins or pudding cups.  Or any fancy little cup befitting such a fine dessert.

Place your cups of mousse in your fridge to chill.  An hour should do it.

I garnished it with raspberries. 



Time to indulge.

Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear what you think!