Thursday, September 8, 2011

Broccoli and Chicken Stir Fry with Noodles

I can't believe I've been blogging for six months now and I haven't posted any stir fry recipes!

Here's a yummy one.......very basic chicken and broccoli over noodles.

I switched up the playlist.........as much as I love my Italian music, it just doesn't set a good stir-fry cooking mood.



Today's Playlist
  • "Love You Madly"........Cake
  • "(If You're Wondering If I Want You To) I Want You To".....Weezer
  • "Ignorance"....Paramore
  • "Supermassive Black Hole".......Muse
  • "Chelsea Dagger"......The Fratellis
  • "Fell In Love With A Girl".....The White Stripes


Broccoli and Chicken Stir Fry with Noodles
  • 12 oz Udon noodles (from Asian section in supermarket)
  • 1/2 cup rice wine
  • 1/3 cup soy sauce
  • 1 tablespoon honey
  • 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 1 1/2 pounds chicken tenderloins, cut into bite-sized pieces
  • 1 tablespoon sesame oil
  • 8 oz. sliced mushrooms
  • 4 cups broccoli florets
  • 1  red bell pepper, cut into bite-sized strips
  • 1 tablespoon ground ginger
  • 2 garlic cloves, crushed

Gather your ingredients.

Put a large (8 quart) pot of salted water on the stove to boil.  Cook noodles according to package directions.  I prefer dried udon noodles, I think the fresh ones get a little bit too mushy when I cook them.

While you're waiting for the water to boil, make your sauce.  Combine the rice wine, soy sauce......

....honey....

...and crushed red pepper flakes in a small bowl.  Set aside.

Prep your veggies.  Cut the broccoli into bite-sized florets.  Core the pepper, and slice it into length-wise strips.  Cut the strips in half.  I bought my mushrooms already sliced, but if you bought whole mushrooms, now would be the time to slice them.

Don't even tell me that you are skipping the mushrooms.  They're my favorite part!

Cut the chicken tenderloins into bite-sized pieces.

Heat the vegetable oil in a wok or large skillet over medium-high heat.


Add the chicken to the wok/skillet, stir fry for 3 or 4 minutes until cooked through.  Remove from the pan (you will be adding it back in later).


Stir fry the mushrooms for a minute or two, until they start to brown and release their liquid.

Check on the pot of water; if it is starting to boil, add your noodles.  Fresh noodles will cook quickly.  Dried noodles will take about 10 minutes.


Add the sesame oil, ginger and the veggies, ..........


.....and crush the garlic into the pan.

Weird  picture, I know.  I tried to take pictures as I was adding each ingredient, but my lens was all fogged up with steam.  T



Stir fry the veggies for 2 or 3 minutes, the broccoli should start to feel tender, yet still crisp.

Add the chicken back into the pan.

Stir the sauce into the pan.

Cook for a minute or two, until the chicken is reheated.

Drain the noodles and immediately put them back into the cooking pot.

Pour the veggie/sauce/chicken into the pot, onto the noodles, and stir.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear what you think!