Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Pumpkin Whoopie Pies

I can't help it.

Now that autumn has arrived I want to make pumpkin everything!


We're barely two weeks into the fall season and I've already made five batches of pumpkin whoopie pies.  Seven batches, if you take into consideration that two of those batches were double!



Today's Playlist

  • "Creep"...Radiohead
  • "Boulevard Of Broken Dreams"...Green Day
  • "I'll Be"...Edwin McCain
  • "Dirty Little Secret"...All-American Rejects
  • "I'm Shakin'"...Jack White
  • "Should I Stay Or Should I Go"...The Clash
  • "Sweet Child O' Mine"...Guns n' Roses
  • "What I Like About You"...The Romantics


Pumpkin Whoopie Pies with Marshmallow Fluff Frosting 
(makes 10-12)


Cake Ingredients:
  • 1 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1 stick (1/2 cup) butter
  • 3/4 cup pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
  • 1 egg
  • 1 1/2 cups flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Frosting Ingredients
  • 1 stick (1/2 cup) butter
  • 1/2 cup confectioners sugar
  • 1 cup Marshmallow Fluff
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract


Gather your cake ingredients.

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.  Line your baking sheets with parchment (or spray with nonstick cooking spray).

Cream the butter and brown sugar in the bowl of your mixer until combined.

Beat in the egg and pumpkin.


Add the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and ginger.  Mix well.

While the mixer is running, splash in the vanilla.

Why does it look like I've got this vanilla in a white-knuckle grip?

When you are done mixing the batter, drop by heaping tablespoonfuls onto your prepared baking sheets.

I use a 2-tablespoon scoop.  I also like to leave plenty of growing room on the baking sheet.

Bake in your preheated 350-degree oven for 10 to 15 minutes.  Poke with a toothpick to see if they're done--the toothpick should be dry, or only have a few moist crumbs.  If there's batter on the toothpick, return the cakes to the oven and re-check every couple of minutes.

My 2 tablespoon-sized cakes took 14 minutes to bake.  Allow the cakes to cool completely before you frost them.

When the cakes have cooled, gather your frosting ingredients.

Cream the butter and the confectioners sugar.

Scrape down the sides of your mixer, and add the vanilla extract.

Scrape down the sides again, and add the marshmallow fluff.  It's such a sticky mess to measure properly!  I just eyeball it and spoon in what I think is one cup.  Don't stress about being perfect, it's fluff!  Adding a bit more is not a bad thing.

Maybe you call it marshmallow creme?  Here in New England, it's fluff!!! Extra points for those of you non-natives who know what a fluffernutter is.


Let's go build some whoopie pies!

I line up all of the cakes.

Then I plop a great big heaping tablespoon of the good stuff on top.

After I've spooned the frosting onto half of the cakes...

I cover them up with the unfrosted halves.

And then I watch them disappear!



 Enjoy.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear what you think!