Thursday, September 13, 2012

Broiled Zucchini With Melted Cheese

Okay, I've spent way too much time trying to come up with a name for this recipe.  

 I've just spent almost an  
hour staring at this blank page.  Daydreaming, talking to Gus, anything to avoid the torture that is coming up with a name for a recipe.  Time to move on and go with a straight-to-the-point name.  The zucchini gets broiled, the cheese does melt...and so there you have it.

The important thing is this:  you will now have another recipe to go to when you are looking to use up the abundance of zucchini growing in your garden.



Today's Playlist
  • "Offend In Every Way".......The White Stripes
  • "Good Riddance (Time Of Your Life)"........Green Day
  • "Flagpole Sitta"........Harvey Danger
  • "Are You Gonna Be My Girl"......Jet
  • "I'm Yours".....Jason Mraz

Broiled Zucchini With Melted Cheese (serves 4 to 6)

  • 2 small to medium zucchini (about 6 to 8 inches in length)
  • 1/2 cup shredded Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
  • 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon butter, melted
Gather your ingredients.

I feel the need to tell you that I do not use any salt in this recipe.  I use salted butter, and the cheese tastes salty enough that I don't add any additional salt.

Line a large baking sheet (like a cookie pan) with foil and brush with the olive oil.

Turn your broiler on to HIGH.

Prep your topping ingredients: grate the cheese, chop the chives.  I forgot to take pictures of this process, but I'm sure you know what to do.

Try to use Parmigiano Reggiano.......it tastes so good, and melts so perfectly.  I admit it, sometimes I buy other types of parmesan, because there are some recipes where it all gets mixed up and you can't tell the difference.

This is one recipe where you can tell, however.  You want to use the good stuff, if you have it.


Place your topping ingredients in a small bowl:  the shredded cheese, the garlic powder.....

and the chives.  Combine these ingredients and set them aside.

Prep your zucchini.  Luckily, I remembered to take pictures of this step!

Lop off the ends of the zucchini, and cut them in half.

Stand each half upright and slice vertically, not too thin but then again not too thick, either.

I'm not being helpful, I know.  You want the slices to be about 1/4" thick.   If they're too thin they will turn to mush when you cook them, but if they're not thin enough they won't cook when you broil them.

 Arrange the slices on the pan which you've already brushed with the olive oil.

And now brush the tops of the slices with the melted butter.

Why am I being so difficult?  Why not use oil for the pan and the tops, or just butter?  Why do I have to mix things up?

There is a method to my madness.  A sort of compromise.  I like to use olive oil whenever possible because compared to butter it is a relatively healthy fat.

 I used olive oil on the bottom (so that the zucchini wouldn't stick to the pan), but I used butter on the tops (so that the topping would adhere better, and butter also browns better, and we are going for brown tops here).
Sprinkle the tops of your zucchini slices with the cheese topping.

Place under your broiler until the cheese has melted and begins to brown.  This should take about 2 to 4 minutes.

Serve immediately.

 Enjoy!!



1 comment:

  1. Yummy! I will give this one a go. I can never have too many zucchini recipes, our plants keep producing an abundance of them..zucchini in everything at the moment :P

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you think!