Sunday, November 20, 2011

Erin To The Rescue

In any given week, my cooking choices are a combination of old favorites (most of which I've already shared on this blog) and new experiments.

My experiments were pretty pathetic this week.

The first involved baby bok choy.

I'm pretty much a fan of baby anything.  When I spotted a cute little bundle of two bok choys at the supermarket last week, I eagerly tossed it into my cart.


I decided I would make a nice honey/lime/soy stir fry with shrimp.


 It looked okay..........but it didn't taste as good as I had hoped it would.  Too limey.  Blecccccch.  No way will I share that recipe with you, not if I hope to keep you as a follower of this blog.


I also picked up a bag of dried strawberries in the same aforementioned shopping trip.  I had never seen these before, and I was intrigued.  I thought that I would use them to make strawberry muffins, because fresh strawberries this time of year are so tasteless.  

These were not tasteless; they were so sweet, really yummy.


But the muffins were practically impossible to remove from the pan!  The strawberries were like glue.  They were quite stuck.  It was so frustrating, trying to remove the muffins without destroying them.

I could never give you this recipe, because my hope is to make your life easier by only giving you good recipes.  I don't want to make you angry by giving you frustrating, gee-I-wish-I-could-throw-these-muffins-and-the-pan-that-they-are-stuck-in at Fran recipes.


I'm going to keep experimenting, because what remained of the muffins was really delicious.  I'll keep at it and maybe someday I'll get it right and share it with you.

And this is where Erin rescues me, and gives me something worth blogging about.  She was craving rice krispie treats, and decided to get a little creative.

I was not home when she did this.  If I were home, I probably would have taken step-by step pictures for you, instead of just the finished rice krispie/candy corn turkeys.



Here's how she did it:

-She made a batch of Rice Krispie treats (the recipe is on the box of Rice Krispies).  Instead of spreading them in a pan, she formed them into balls.
-She then made 1/2 batch of buttercream frosting. She used this as "glue" to attach the candy corn and the oreos.
-Separate one oreo per turkey, using one half as the base ("glued" with the butter cream frosting), and the other half was glued to the back of the turkey, to hold the candy corn in place.
-She attached the candy corn, using the frosting as glue.  Use six candy corn for each turkey; one for the head, and five for tail feathers.
-A black frosting pen was used to draw the eyes.




No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear what you think!