I think this is the most perfect salad ever.
I'll give you five ingredients why. In no particular order:
1. Balsamic vinaigrette. My most favorite dressing ever.
2. Grilled chicken. Turns a salad into a meal.
3. Apple. Love the sweet crunch it adds.
4. Toasted almonds. Love the nutty crunch it adds.
5. Bacon. Because it's bacon. 'Nuff said.
- "Soul To Squeeze"...Red Hot Chili Peppers
- "That Time Is Gone"...The dB's
- "She's A Genius"...Jet
- "Fell In Love With A Girl"...The White Stripes
- "Let It Die"...Foo Fighters
- "Semi-Charmed Life"...Third Eye Blind
- "It Goes On And On"...The Avett Brothers
Apple/Bacon/Chicken Salad with Balsamic Vinaigrette (4 to 6 servings)
For the salad:
- 8 cups assorted salad greens ( I used spinach and romaine)
- 2 large grilled chicken breasts
- 1 to 2 honey crisp apples
- 6 thick-cut bacon slices
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds, toasted
For the dressing:
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- salt & pepper, to taste
Gather your ingredients.
Prep all your ingredients.
Cut the bacon into pieces approximately 3/4".
Heat a medium-sized skillet or pot over medium heat. Put the slivered almonds in to toast. This only takes a few minutes. Stir them a bit...
you will know they are done as soon as they start to get some color. Remove them from the pan and set aside to cool.
Add the bacon pieces into the same pan. Cook them, stirring occasionally, until they are crisp.
While you're waiting for the bacon to cook, assemble the salad and prepare the dressing.
Place the greens into a bowl. I like to use a combo of spinach and romaine, but you should use whichever type of greens you like best.
Combine the dressing ingredients in a small bowl. 1/3 cup olive oil...
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar...
1 tablespoon dijon mustard...
and one clove of garlic, crushed directly into the bowl.
Add salt and pepper to taste, and whisk to combine. Set aside.
Your bacon should be finished now.
Remove the bacon from the pan and onto a paper towel to drain.
Continue with your salad assembly.
Slice the grilled chicken.
You can prepare the chicken in advance using your favorite grilling method. If you need grilling instructions, here is my favorite grilling method:
-Combine 2 tablespoons olive oil, the juice of 1 lime and 1 tablespoon grilling spice (I used McCormick Montreal Steak Seasoning---yeah, I know, STEAK seasoning for chicken, but it's my all-time favorite grilling spice)
-Marinate the chicken breasts for 10 minutes, then grill over medium heat for 5 to 6 minutes per side, or until thoroughly cooked
Arrange the grilled chicken slices on top of the salad greens.
Slice your apple.
I simply slice off the 4 sides, throw away the core...
and roughly slice the 4 sides into bite-sized pieces.
Throw the apples on top of the salad.
Sprinkle the bacon on as well.
Then add the toasted almonds.
And finally, drizzle about half of the dressing on top. Serve the rest of the dressing on the side.